US Cannabis Seed Law Is Changing – What Do You Think?

I wanted to throw this one out to the Community because I think there could be a really interesting discussion around it.

There are changes coming to the federal definition of hemp in the US, and viable cannabis seeds are specifically mentioned in the new wording. Seeds from plants exceeding the new total THC threshold can be excluded from the federal definition of hemp.

But rather than me repeating the entire article here, I want to know what you guys think about it.

The part I find particularly interesting is how this is actually going to work in the real world.

A seed itself doesn’t tell you what the finished plant is going to produce, so how do you think this will be handled in practice?

For those of you in the US:

Does this concern you at all?

Do you think it could make certain genetics harder to get hold of?

Would a change like this make you secure genetics you’ve had your eye on, or are you carrying on exactly as normal?

What about those of you who have been collecting and preserving genetics for years — does this change how you look at your collection?

And probably the biggest question: what do you think this will actually look like in practice once the rules start being applied?

There seem to be a lot of strong opinions floating around already, so I’m interested to hear what actual growers think rather than just reading headlines.

I’m especially interested in hearing from our US growers on this one. Do you think this is going to have a genuine impact on growers and access to genetics, or do you think we need to wait and see how it is actually implemented before getting too concerned?

Keep it friendly and respectful — different states have different laws and everyone’s situation is going to be a little different.

This discussion is for general information only and isn’t legal advice.

5 Likes

As a grower in the US this concerns me. I can see it going two ways. One, the strains available and several breeders will be cutt off from a large part of the world market and it will be a challenge for growers like me who aren’t looking for the standard strains. And may just push growers back to the dispensaries. The other direction it could go would be positive. Growers here in the US will have to create new exciting strains from what is currently available on the market. Necessity breeds innovation and change. We may end up with new fire buds that could be shared with the world if Federal legalization ever comes through. I for one am going to try a land some strains prior to this going into effect. Purple ghost candy, some OG skunk strains, maybe some freak genetics if I can afford them, more Granny candy seeds (favorite I have ever grown) and I will be running my own crosses.

6 Likes

put it this way if they can ban seeds imagine whats next…

tomato’s? Apple’S?

3 Likes

Its unfortunately whatever gets them votes ma’am. It is not now, never has been about the plant.

4 Likes

Preserve your BEST STRAINS while you can!!!

Here is a list of seeds i currently have or will have!

-Runtz (Currently breeding for S1s)

-Ice Dream Cake (Also breeding)

-Nutter Budder

-Banana Nut Bread

-Permanent Marker

-GSC and Tropicana Cookies

-5 Mystery plants from Seedsman

-Violet Abyss (Grape Ape x Clementine)

-Bloodmoon (Just called bloodmoon, Wedding cake x Cherry Pie)

I will also cross Bloodmoon with Bloodmoon Gelato and make the ultimate bloody moon… one day…

4 Likes

I think us growers will take care of each other. But its gonna make everything more difficult. Not gonna think on it to much it makes me so mad. The changes concerning seeds just flat out makes no sense. Its only gonna cause harm.

5 Likes

I moved to colorado from the unenlightened state that I was living in to avoid persecution around growing. I have never profited from the cannabis ive grown. Yet …

2 Likes

its legal in IL 5 plants!

but at the same time they raided a medical patients house took everything convicted him and in court he got released… and supposed everything returned to him… they even had a warrent but it said nothing about medical… i hate this state…

2 Likes

we moved to Colorado in 2014, I would have been put in jail sooner or later, I feel your frustration

1 Like

:weary_cat:

1 Like